Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's Oscar Season

Well, we are out of the gate with the nominees announced! And we probably will have an Oscar party again this year--and it will probably end up like last year, where we end up putting on a movie and watching it, instead of the glitterati. See, unless your kids are teen demographic or older, the Oscars are not what I call family friendly. Oh, your little girl, lost in princess fashions, can ogle the dresses on the red carpet,but the event is all about a bunch of films that, for the most part, your kids CAN'T or should not see. This year, family friendly entertainment did better than most years, with UP and the Blind Side, two G rated films, getting nods, but by and large, its a show with a lot of talk about things your kids can't really relate to.
At our house we think that Where the Wild Things Are should have at least gotten a best adapted screenplay nomination--I still predict that that movie will stand the test of time and become iconic, but that's maybe because it spoke to our family more clearly and poignantly than anything else last year.

Last year we totally MEANT to watch the Oscar show. But at some point the kids were getting bored and picking fights so I popped the Bollywood Hit OM SHANTI OM into the player--it has music, dancing and the Indian version of the Great White Way and it was just the sort of Awards Night Inspiration we needed, so we never got back to the Oscars and just watched the summary of winners on the news afterwards. Maybe this year I will get off my proverbial lazy backside and put together a creative clips line up of scenes from previous Oscars.
Or we will substitute an unlikely past winner for the star studded made for TV event. I hate that we are not members of the Academy, or hooked up in any way, so laying hands on the animated shorts that are nominated is next to impossible. And I bet some of the foreign flicks are good too--where oh where to get those.

I know everyone on the planet except me has seen Avatar(I refuse to pay the upcharges and buy yet another pair of 3D glasses--the hype feels like Lemming Central, and 3 D gives me a migraine)and I am happy with my non-with-it status. But what I want to know is where does one access some of the more obscure nominees?? I will say that IMDB is a miracle because you can look up all the past work of the nominees for best makeup and costumes.

So its snowing again, and we have to get through all the Olympics Coverage---now that's real awards ceremonies, eh? before we can put on our sparkly clothes and eat hors d'oevres and watch something Filmic..... so basically, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." Scarlett O'Hara in the 1939 Academy Award Winner Gone with the Wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment